Welcome to The Blog!

Monday, November 25, 2013

A Magical Idea

Delusion by Laura Sullivan
**Spoilers**


When I picked up Laura L. Sullivan’s Delusion, I was genuinely excited to start it.  The book appeared to combine two of my favorite things: historical fiction and magic.  Set in World War II England, Delusion follows twin sisters and stage magicians Phil and Fee Albion as the bombs of the London Blitz send them to the safety of the England countryside.  Phil is set on continuing to help the war effort despite the reluctance of the citizens of Bittersweet.  Her twin sister Fee, always the romantic, is caught up in the ambiance of the countryside and is looking for a romance of her own.  However, when Phil discovers a castle in the countryside full of real magicians, all of the twins’ ideas of what their time in the countryside will constitute changes. 




The story that follows has a very unique idea.  It uses an opposing group of magicians from Germany as the true source behind World War II.  This step into the world of alternative history gives the story a great twist.  When this was introduced I got really excited about what was to follow in the story.  Sadly, I was a bit disappointed.  This great idea wasn’t carried out in a way that kept the narrative tension high.  This wasn’t a book where I struggled to put it down.  At times, I found myself even getting a bit bored.  Something that had the potential to be a fantastic read really let me down through the execution of the story idea. 


In short, Delusion is a book with a fascinating story idea.  It may take some effort to stay interested, but the Albion sisters are worth the effort.  



By: Kaitlyn Coddington