Welcome to The Blog!

Friday, January 11, 2013

GUEST POST: Editors: A Crazy, Stupid, Love Story


Over the course of writing twenty books, I’ve had five editors. They have had me.

Three of them were so spectacularly brilliant that the thought of them still brings tears to my eyes. Two of them were so spectacularly awful that the thought of them still brings tears to my eyes.

A writer’s relationship with an editor is often compared to a marriage, because it is so intimate. Now, I’ve been married twice, and once widowed. Trust me: the relationship with my editors is more intimate by far.

Your editor is the only person on earth whom you invite in to crawl around inside your brain and spirit.

Your editor’s comments can lift you off the ground to soar among the clouds, or lift you off an overpass to dive straight down to the asphalt.


I don’t know if all editors are aware of the massive power they possess over your work (future, ego, self-concept, life, death, and clothing size). All of them should be aware.  An editor needs all the fine surgical skills of an ophthalmologist, the power of a welterweight boxer, the artistic vision of Leonardo, and the wisdom of Kermit the Frog.

An editor needs to coax gold from base metal, sweet water from mud, a song from the strangled screams of someone denied a righteous advance. The editor needs to do this while helping the writer believe all the while that this endeavor is possible, worth it, and may result in the next DaVinci Code … or something.

I didn’t envy the lot of editors, and I surely do not envy it now that I have become one.

Late last spring, I became the editor in chief of a Young Adult only publisher called Merit Press. We’re striving for classy, classic YA fiction that’s intense, readable, perhaps featuring a little bit of magical realism but no werewolves need apply – only because that kind of story isn’t getting its propers right now. Buying and editing six great books so far (the first published in December, 2012) and sitting on the other side of the desk has been so humbling that I couldn’t beat a Yorkshire terrier in a staring contest.

However much my respect for writers has soared as I have moved deeply into this process, my respect for editors (whose job is often thankless and beleaguered) outstrips even my now-epic respect for writers.

Imagine a world without an editor. It would be like a world without laws (Don’t get me started on the perils of self-publishing and “retaining editorial control,” ye gods! That’s as useful to a writer as retaining water!)

Of course, the great editors I’ve worked with have done their work so well, with such grace and gentle hands, that – after a short period lying in bed sobbing – I actually wanted to make all the changes they suggested, to make the book better, but also to please them.

These great editors have, in my life, a value on par with platinum.

And the bad ones? They probably wouldn’t have been so awful if my book had been better.

You know who you are. But you know what? You did your best.

So I forgive you.

I still love you, because as awful as you were those times, it sort of all came out okay in the end. Much as I hate to admit it, your vision for my book is as valid as my vision is.

Does it really take two? IMHO, it absolutely does. For example, a good editor would have taken out “IMHO.” Having anything published without a stern editor? It would be a horrible fate. I would no more want to be MY OWN editor than I do bowel surgery on myself in the woods with a stick.

Unless they involve pure abuse (and yes, you almost verged on that, and you know which day that was …) many of the most difficult relationships in the world – parent and child, husband and wife, coach and athlete – are some of the most strenuous. That’s the hell of them. That’s the joy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Jacquelyn Mitchard is the author of the just released What We Saw at Night. You can learn more about her and her many other novels at http://jacquelynmitchard.com.