Welcome to The Blog!

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Traveling with Harry: An Interview


I love Harry Potter.

J.K. Rowling has been my hero ever since I was a little kid. Her stories made me truly love reading. I would devour those books, and waiting years for each one to come out was absolute torture. Where was Rowling going to take me next? What was going to happen to Harry? Were Ron and Hermione ever going to get together? And could Voldemort actually die this time?

Let’s just say that I was invested. That’s why it was extremely exciting when my friend and fellow Harry Potter fan, Jackie, told me about her Harry-Potter-related quest this semester. We are both studying abroad in the Netherlands, and the program's set-up allows for most students to jet off to various locations every weekend in the name of experience and good times.

Jackie's quest? To get a Harry Potter book from every country she visited.

* * * 

Interview with Jackie Marr:

harrypotterforum.com
Why did you decide to get a Harry Potter book from each country you visited?

I really like Harry Potter and it’s the reason I always wanted to go to London. That sparked my whole interest in traveling to begin with, so I figured, why not? And I love books. So I figured, I want to get a book in each country and there should be some sort of theme to it. Harry Potter is everywhere, so why not?


What places have you gotten them?

I got them in Dublin, Maastricht, Stockholm, Florence, Krakow, Berlin, and Porto – I have an extra one too. That one’s from London.


Which book is the extra one?

The first one. I got them both in English.


So the other ones are in the languages of the countries you bought them in?

Yeah. I can’t read them, but I’ll probably put the rest on my shelf and add to it as I travel more. I don’t want to stop now. I want to keep going. I’ll definitely reread the first book though since it’s in English.


blog.syracuse.com
That’s great. It’s amazing that you’re collecting so many. Was there a specific reason you decided to get the first book twice? Is it your favorite out of the series?

No, the fourth one is. I just bought the first one twice because I didn’t get the cover I wanted. It was the tenth anniversary edition instead of the one with the train. So I bought the one with the train too. Plus, I figured I’d just start around again.


How difficult was it to find these Harry Potter books?

You figure that everyone loves Harry Potter so it should be in the airport bookstores and stuff like that, but it isn’t. The stores only have the books that are really big right now, like Diary of a Wimpy Kid for the children’s section. So you just have to find a major book chain, which is kind of hard because you don’t know what they are in the different countries. But once you find one, it’s pretty easy.


So, have you missed any places – like you’ve gone to a place and you haven’t gotten a Harry Potter book?

I couldn’t get one in Zadar, Croatia, because they didn’t have a bookstore. I looked it up online too and the covers are the same as the American ones.


gutsmanblog.blogspot.com
That’s interesting because I wanted to ask you: what do you think about the different cover arts? And do you like any of the foreign ones better than their American counterparts?

I think they’re really cool. I mean, I’ve seen the American ones so often and that’s just like, “Oh. It’s an American one.” But I really liked the Dutch one. It’s super modern and all of the series is like that. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets just looks like snakeskin and the first book’s cover is just clouds.

So, it’s very modern and almost minimalist?

Yeah. It’s Harry Potter without being like… HARRY POTTER! It doesn’t have the boy wizard on the front or anything big. So, that was cool.


Do you think any foreign covers represent the books better by emphasizing something the American covers don’t? Basically, are any of the foreign covers more fitting in your opinion?

I mean, they’re all different. When you choose a book cover, you have to go through a ton of decisions. So, having the availability of so many different covers of the same book from so many different countries is great. But I like the German and Swedish ones because they’re super-childish. They’re like, “Oh! Here’s a scene!” and it’s fun.


That sounds nice. So, what’s the weirdest cover you’ve ever seen?

Well, there was one that I didn’t get in Italy. It was just weird. It was only a broomstick or something like that. It might have been for the third one.


Okay, out of the ones you decided to buy, which book is your favorite artistically?

Probably the British first one with the train. It’s so iconic and Americans have just never been able to have it. It’s always been “Sorcerer’s Stone” and “Philosopher’s Stone” and now I finally have that one. It’s the one that started it all.


It certainly started a journey for you. It seems like looking for the books really added to your travels. So, final question: What do you think you’ve gotten out of this experience?

You know, when I look at the book I think of what I did when I went to that place because I haven’t really bought souvenirs from anywhere. A Harry Potter book is the one thing I get from each country. I can remember that I went with so-and-so and we did this and that. It’s a reminder of my trip. I also love just being able to see the culture through the bookstores themselves – the books they’re advertising, the different cover arts for the books, or what’s popular in those cultures. It can be a difference in selection overall or sometimes different sections are more prominent, whether it be romance novels or non-fiction, which is really big in some countries. It was just a great experience overall.

* * *

Jackie succeeded in getting the entire Harry Potter series, plus an extra copy, and I have to admire her for setting a goal and completing her quest. More importantly, she let her love of books influence other areas of her life. Books sparked her interest in travel, and travel allowed her to expand her knowledge of books. She experienced the literary culture of countries all over Europe and had a great time doing it. For those interested in a similar endeavor, here are some tips from Jackie to get all seven books with minimal difficulty.

#1. Look up where bookstores are before you go. Don't think you'll just discover bookstores everywhere during your travels. They can be hard to find – sometimes they're hidden in some back street that you would normally be completely unaware of. Having a plan and destination makes it more likely that you'll achieve your goal. If you can't find any bookstores offhand, have a list of chain bookstores that will ensure you'll find a Harry Potter book. If you're serious about it, you can hit all the stores on your list on the last day of travel.

#2. Tell your travel mates to look out for bookstores. Harry didn't complete his quest without his friends, and neither should you! When it came to collecting Harry Potter, having friends help out definitely made Jackie's quest easier. Her friend, Caitlyn, became her partner in crime on her Potter quest. Once, Jackie remembers, “We were in Italy and I was just drinking my coffee, and she's like 'I found a bookstore!' and pulled me out of the cafĂ©.” If your friends see the book you need, they can lead you to the bookstore, or if you want, just tell them to buy a copy if they see it. You can always pay them back, but you can't always find a store on your own.

#3. Roll with the punches. You might not get the exact cover or type of book you want.  Some stores will only have paperbacks and some only hardcovers. They might not have the entire series in stock. Some destinations won't have stores where you can get Harry Potter at all. It's not the end of the world – getting all of the books is nice, but the search is more about the experience. You can check out cool bookstores and have adventures finding them, and it's a good way to explore the unfamiliar with a little touch of home. Jackie traveled not only with her friends, but also with Harry Potter – the books she had grown up with and loved.

Jackie hopes to never stop collecting Harry Potter books.


By Alexandra Kowal