Welcome to The Blog!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Volki



The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable

When I first saw this book by Cathryn Constable, I couldn’t help but snatch it up. The word “Russia” in its summary made my heart skip a beat. I am far from just a fan of the country—I am Russian. I grew up speaking the language and enjoying its food and dealing with my babushkas (meaning “grandmothers” for those who might not know) have not yet read the book and experienced its delightfully flawed Russian-English glossary). While that made it appealing, I also had to keep in mind that it could be slightly disappointing. And to be honest, at first, it was.


HarperTeen
As I started reading The Wolf Princess I had vague flashbacks of Anastasia, the Twentieth Century Fox movie that centers around and romanticizes the last Grand Duchess. I tried to push these inklings of nostalgia away, but as I read on, I couldn’t help but see more similarities: royals and riches lost to the ravages of Communism, the male character named Dmitri, a motif of yearning for family running throughout. While these details did grate on my nerves slightly in the beginning, I came to find that, even while some elements of the plot may not have been entirely that original, the story was creative and rather well written. The characters are kind-hearted and relatable, and young adults will find themselves fascinated by the world of this book. Truly, towards the end, I could not put the book down because I was trapped in the plot and so attached to the characters. However, this attachment also led to frustration, since the author continually refused to divulge a piece of information foreshadowed from the novel’s first words. The fact that it took so long (almost two-hundred and fifty pages) for that one obvious discovery was rather ridiculous—and those who have read, or read the book in the future, will probably feel as I did.

Ultimately, the novel did remind me of the stories and songs my babushka used to lull me to sleep with: of volki (wolves) who would snap at your back, of snegurochki (snow maidens) who helped dedushka moroz (grandfather frost) deliver gifts to children. As I read, I could picture myself a small girl lost in the wilderness of Russia: scared as I looked up at the looming trees, but exhilarated, excited, as I breathed the cold air and trudged through the piled, powdery snow.
By: Rebecca Rozenberg