Welcome to The Blog!

Friday, February 15, 2013

The Sassy YA Truth


Reasons Why We Love and Hate Series: From a YA and Marketing Standpoint

Winter breaks can sometimes be very productive. After reading over ten books, I came across a common trend that I’ve noticed before, but never really thought in depth about. Series. Why are they always happening? Why does publishing one book and just being done seem so taboo? I will be discussing this, mostly from a Young Adult (YA) standpoint. I’ll sandwich the good and the bad.


Reason 1:

Loving that Journey

Who doesn’t want to follow the same characters as they grow and change? While some readers search for their identity and figure out what’s right for them, the characters in series are following a similar path. It’s nice to be able to turn away from the real world and read about lovable characters. It’s worth the thousands of pages and hours of time put into the reading experience.

Also, many series have tons of action. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, of course, is an example of this. As readers, we are sadistic. We read further to see what Katniss would go through in a second Hunger Games. We follow the journey of how she volunteers as tribute and then builds her strength, overcoming death numerous times. Without all her fighting and resilience, Katniss’ story would not be as engaging. Collins throws us into a world that readers know they probably wouldn’t survive, so they continue the journey until the end of book three to see how she overcomes, or if she will even be able to.


www.goodreads.com
The first series I finished over break that shows the internal and external struggle of a dystopian world is the Maze Runner trilogy (with a prequel that was published recently). We follow Thomas as he searches for his memories that have been wiped clean. Somehow Thomas feels like his brain holds the secrets to the maze, and his ability to figure out why they are there and how to get out will mean the difference between life and death. Again, the audience reads through a character’s torture through various trials in all the books, and all the while he grows and becomes stronger because of the journey.



Crying for Money

Greedy antagonists can often drive the conflict in a story, but in real life it can also cause problems within publishing. Did Twilight really need four books and five movies? Some would argue that it was fun connecting with Bella in book one. However, in book two, she was just a girl depressed out of her mind because a boy left her, which isn’t exactly the best message for younger readers. It can hurt when a guy leaves you behind, but she always relied on him. She couldn’t handle her own.  It wasn’t until book four that Bella kicked some real ass without relying on Edward.

Still, readers seem to eat that stuff up. I would say that’s why there were four books, because publishers knew that Stephanie Meyer’s vampire romance would sell. The television series Glee recently included a statement about this when one of the characters said  (Season 4, Ep. 12) , “Those Twilight books are poop on paper, and we’ve turned them into a billion dollar industry.”

The Twilight saga might not be quality literature, but the books have still sold close to a billion copies worldwide. That shows that there’s a lot of merit in the story. It provided escape for a lot of readers and that’s what books are for. It’s also a nice visual: shirtless sparkling vampires. I mean come one. Perfect. Yet, I’m also a fan of old school vampires. Ever have a dream where the two battle against each other? Well let’s just say it’s awesome, and that’s where Meyer’s idea came from. A dream.

And don’t forget about all the Team Jacob and Team Edward merchandise.

Which team are you?


Reason 2:

Loving that World Building

Both the books I mentioned earlier develop their worlds, really well. Through their descriptive words and creativity, authors fabricate believable, adventurous settings, allowing readers to accept a world where people actually cheer on the death of children. It also doesn’t hurt that our current culture is obsessed with reality television and are often intrigued by violence.

People enjoy imagining what the future might be, and I think that’s what makes dystopian YA so popular. Even though there are tons of dystopian novels, I find a new and interesting one every time I visit the bookstore, and though I can’t afford some of them, I’m lucky enough to normally have the chance to get them at the library.
www.goodreads.com

One book that has an interesting library scene and world building is Enclave by Ann Aguirre (another series). It develops an interesting take on what could have happened if people turned into zombie-esque people. It takes place before computers were even invented. Basically, it’s an alternative reality. It follows Deuce, who has just become a Huntress that will protect the Enclave from Freaks (zombie-like people) who live underground with her. She discovers that what she believed wasn’t necessarily the whole truth, and her world is turned upside down. The second book, Outpost, came out last year.


Not again… How could you do this to me? I hate you. I really hate you.

I love Divergent by Veronica Roth. I think it is equally as good as The Hunger Games, but sadly book three isn’t coming out until the end of the year and I won’t discover what’s in store for Tris until then.

That’s the problem with many series. You start reading before all the books are out, connecting with the characters and yearning to know what happens next. Sometimes the next book isn’t published for a few years.

At the same time, readers hopefully can sympathize with the author’s plight. A long wait for a release date often means the author is trying to put a lot of effort in making the next book even better than the previous two. Veronica Roth mentioned this as her reason for the far off release date. She wanted to make sure the book was the best it could be, and not rush the finished product. From the way she ended Insurgent, I’m positive she will create another great book, and I will wait.

Unhappily.

Sometimes waiting too long is enough for a reader to forget about the book, or put off reading the next one. I currently have Shades of Earth (the final book in the Across the Universe Trilogy) in my bag, sitting right next to me as I write this. It’s yelling at me, telling me I need to stop and read it.  Beth Revis builds such an interesting world. She makes the reader feel like they are trapped on a spaceship with identical looking humans that only see a Sol-Earth human as a freak.
www.goodreads.com

I love the characters, and the events in the story keep me reading. Amy wants to wake up her parents from being cryogenically frozen. She was awoken prematurely (by who she doesn’t know!), and she questions who she can turn to  on the ship, fifty years before they are even supposed to arrive at the new planet.

Hopefully, soon I’ll get to crack the book open and find out the conclusion of Amy and Elder. Will they survive or will they lose everything? Ahhhh, I CAN’T LOOK. I don’t want the series to end yet.


Reason 3:

Loving Those Badass Women Who do Badass Things

In a lot of YA Dystopia, there’s a girl who is saving the world or proving that she’s stronger than the men around her. Yes, she often has a guy she falls for, but she can make her own decisions and is capable of handling battle. Readers often like to see some romantic aspect anyways.  Moira Young’s Dust Land’s series reads well for this. Saba meets a boy, but instead of being a damsel in distress, she’s the one that has to save him a majority of the time, one time involving fire.
www.goodreads.com

It’s nice seeing a women taking charge when some other forms of media don’t do it as much as they should.


Where’s the diversity?

I wrote a blog post about the lack of diversity in YA books, and I found this problem in a lot of dystopian novels as well. I haven’t read ANY actual dystopian series that follow the journey of a GLBTQA character. I would love to read a book about a gay guy in a futuristic world. Don’t make me write it myself!

If you’re looking for a decent GLBTQA series that isn’t dystopian (oh I want one to exist so bad), Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez helped me a lot when I was a freshman in high school. Yay, coming to terms with your sexuality, filled with sappy love stories.


Reason 4:

Loving that Escape

I know I read because it relaxes me and I can escape into a world, or get new writing ideas. It’s fun to figure out the ending before it happens, or be proven wrong by what you thought was going to occur. It’s heartbreaking when we lose a character we never thought the author would kill off (cough, cough J.K Rowling). It’s an enjoyable experience that continues with each new story we decide to dive into.

It’s also interesting to see where we, as readers, have grown. I’m sure if I read a Harry Potter book again, I’d see it in a new light than I did years ago, because my perception has changed vastly over the years. We will notice things that we never did before. When I read HP for the first time, I did it to see what happens. Now, it would be more of a reading to see and rediscover what I loved about Rowling’s style.

I wouldn’t give up reading fictional YA series for the world. It’s addicting as TV. I’ve learned a lot about myself from the characters I’ve read about over the years. Sometimes it’s a small thing, and others it could be a big revelation.


Dreams End

When a series ends, the reader misses the characters and the world they connected with from the beginning, or they are angry because the author didn’t necessarily do the characters justice (based on the person’s opinion).

We spend hours reading about a character, only to discover that she doesn’t end up with the person we originally thought. It’s this disappointment that hurts the most when finishing a book that had high hopes in a great ending.

Even though it hurts to finish a well-developed series, it’s the journey and the getting there that makes reading so fun. I will always want to read what’s next; even if it is about the same characters for eight books. I feel like I’m growing with characters, and most of all, the author. I hope they feel the same.


By TJ Ohler