Welcome to The Blog!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book Review: Mercy by Rebecca Lim

“There’s no discernible pattern to the Carmes, the Lucys, the Susannahs that I have been and become. All I know is that they stretch back in an unbroken chain further that I can remember – I can sense them all there, standing one behind the other, jostling for my attention, struggling to tell me something about my condition.” (Page 30)

wickedawesomebooks.com
Mercy is the story of girl/ angel who has fallen; she has no memory of where she came from, she has no body of her own, and the only thing that she remembers are her physical features. Since she does not have her own body she is forced to dosomethingunnatural: inhabit other people’s bodies and sort of take over their lives. While she is the body of the stranger, that person has no idea what is going on, and, when they come back, have no recollection of what happened — in other words it is as if they are asleep. She has no control over what person she will inhabit next or for how long. The only thing that remains constant in Mercy’s shifting life is Luc. A guy/angel that appears in her dream, she loves him. Luc keeps telling her that she should find him but she does not know how to do that, or where to start.


Carmen is the new host body for Mercy; she is a young teenage girl who is a prodigal soprano singer, and on a student exchange program with Paradise High. Carmen’s host family turns out be a family that is going through some tough times. Lauren the youngest daughter and twin sister of Ryan Daley has been missing for two years, almost every body presumes that she is dead except for Ryan. Carmen/ Mercy, aside from inhabiting other peoples’ bodies, can also sense their emotions and by touching them has a glimpse of their memories. By using these powers she believes Ryan and begins to help him. Luc tells her that she should not get involved in the problems of the Daley family, but he does not tell her why. Mercy however is a strong heroine who ignores what he says and helps out anyway. In the process of helping Ryan she begins to feel something for him, however she knows that she should avoid it because she is not going to be around forever.

When I first found this book I thought that it was YA paranormal romance. But after I finished reading it I came to conclusion that, although it does have some romantic aspects, it is mostly a mystery thriller book that follows a girl finding her identity, trying to figure out who she is (literally), and helping Ryan find his sister Lauren. I would personally not recommend this book to read because when it begins it seems interesting enough to pick up. However, like every book you must wait for it to build to get really good. Although most books are like this, I felt that the book took a long time to get to climax because it spent a lot of time describing Mercy and her inner thoughts. The really good part came around the last eighty pages. The ending of the book was my favorite part but at the same time my least favorite because it left me at the climax of the action. I guess I am going to have to read the next book to see what happens to Mercy.


Written by Gilma Velasquez