Welcome to The Blog!

Monday, November 25, 2013

Why Interning In Educational Publishing Is Really Important

Educational Publishing from an Intern's Perspective

This summer, I had the pleasure of interning with a great company called Publishing Solutions Group based in Woburn, MA. As I finished my freshman year at Emerson, I was at the cusp of my career; I had no experience except for the minimal work I had done for a few campus organizations and I had a lot to learn.


PSG is a full production publishing company that takes on projects involving writing, editorial work, art production and management, design, and translation. They handle assignments in educational publishing and work with sectors of companies like McDougal-Littell, Pearson, and Harcourt. It is a small company with less than fifteen full-time employees, so as an intern I was trusted with a lot of work that was important to the company. I never felt like I was just a decoration or formality as some interns at other companies may feel. 



Going into the internship, I knew that I wasn’t interested in educational publishing; I was much more interested in working with creative fiction or nonfiction books. However, for my first internship, PSG wasn’t a bad place to spend two days a week. Even after my internship ended, I’m still more interested in working with books, but I wouldn’t trade my first internship experience for anything.


Educational publishing is an important industry that often gets left behind and is never truly appreciated. It embodies every aspect of publishing through every step of production and, as an employee of the industry, you are never afforded the opportunity of ignoring a process or factor that might not necessary be in your “department.” That’s just the thing—it’s all your department.


Projects in educational publishing are large-scale and you can’t work without the end product in mind. Every person assigned to the project is involved in every step of the process. Having an understanding of every aspect of the project and industry is completely necessary. It’s all a big intertwined web of team members, so working together cooperatively becomes essential.


Though I may not have necessarily interested in the educational publishing industry when I accepted my internship offer with Publishing Solutions Group, I contribute a large part of my understanding of the publishing process to my time with them. Even as an intern I was required to know the intricacies of each step and each aspect of the industry, like any other employee. I came out with a better understanding of the industry I will one day work in than all of my peers. 


By: Hayley Gundlach